Mawson Primary School opened in 1968 and has provided the local community with high quality education for 46 years.
Mawson Primary School offers:
- Purpose built Environmental Centre with specialist teacher
- Positive human relationships are developed through the explicit teaching of values and social skills
- Designated Mandarin language learning classrooms for our bilingual and LOTE programs
- Mawson Preschool located in the school buildings
- Before and After School Care service is located in the school buildings
- Spacious classrooms, with interactive whiteboards, wireless connection and students have access to IWBs, Mac Books and iPads.
- Academy of Science’s Primary Connections program and winning entries in the annual ACT Science Fair
- Instrumental Music Program-Recorder Band for years 4 &5 with specialist music teacher
- Guitar and ukulele music programs for years 3 to 6
- Particiation by years 3-6 in ACT Rostrum Competition
- Interschool sporting opportunities such as AFL, cricket and touch football.
- Bilingual, Chinese/ English, private childcare facility for children from birth to 5 years of age is located within school grounds
Click Latest News Archives for detail of all News items
Floriade Peace and Friendship Garden
Mawson students appeared on WIN news and were quoted in the Canberra Times on 14/9/2016. see the link for more details.
Posted on 14 Sep 2016
2016 China Day
CHINA DAY AT MAWSON PRIMARY SCHOOL
Friday 16 September
9:30 to 10:30 am
On behalf of the teachers and students at Mawson Primary, I would like to invite you to join us on Friday 16 September, for our whole school celebration of Mandarin language learning at our school.
All students at Mawson Primary learn Mandarin language, either in a language other than English (LOTE) setting or Mandarin intensive language classes. Our kindergarten to year six students will be participating in a range of activities during the day, designed to engage students in Mandarin language and Chinese culture.
We will commence the day with a one hour assembly in the school hall at 9.30 a.m. Following this, all students will participate in a range of learning experiences and you are very welcome to stay on and join the students for the morning.
I look forward to welcoming you to our very unique school on this very special day.
Posted on 06 Sep 2016
The Great Book Swap
The Great Book
Our school is holding a book swap to raise funds for the Indigenous Literacy Foundation. Please bring in a loved book to swap and a gold coin to be able to take home another book to enjoy.
Bring your books in on this day
Monday 29th August 2016
Date of event
Wednesday August 31st 2016
As part of Literacy and Numeracy Week Mawson Primary will be participating in the Great Book Swap which will be held on Wednesday 31st August. The Great Book Swap is a fundraising event in which students swap books with one another. Participating students bring along a gold coin and a book they have read and enjoyed. All these preloved books are put in a central location and students then choose a new book they would like to keep.
Funds raised will help send culturally appropriate books and resources into 200 remote communities around Australia, fund and work with remote communities on specially identified literacy based projects and translate books into Indigenous languages.
Please bring your preloved book/s to your classroom teacher by next Monday 29th August. If you would like to donate more than one book to provide variety and to help us have each child in the school going home with a book it would be greatly appreciated. Please ensure the books that are donated are age appropriate.
Posted on 23 Aug 2016
Year 5 and 6 student School Climate Survey Link
This is the link to the year 5 and 6 students survey for the 2016 Australian School Climate and School Identification Measurement Tool (ASCSIMT).
Posted on 02 Aug 2016
Ghirardello's Road to Australia
Ghirardello’s The Road To Australia
By Chelsea Attard Published April 1, 2016
In an effort to empower students to take charge of their learning, Mawson Primary School teacher Trish Ghirardello has created an iTunes U course entitled The Road to Australia. Read the article in Education HQ by following this link.
Posted on 23 May 2016