Mawson Primary School opened in 1968 and has provided the local community with high quality education for 46 years.
Mawson Primary School offers:
- Purpose built Environmental Centre with specialist teacher
- Positive human relationships are developed through the explicit teaching of values and social skills
- Designated Mandarin language learning classrooms for our bilingual and LOTE programs
- Mawson Preschool located in the school buildings
- Before and After School Care service is located in the school buildings
- Spacious classrooms, with interactive whiteboards, wireless connection and students have access to IWBs, Mac Books and iPads.
- Academy of Science’s Primary Connections program and winning entries in the annual ACT Science Fair
- Instrumental Music Program-Recorder Band for years 4 &5 with specialist music teacher
- Guitar and ukulele music programs for years 3 to 6
- Particiation by years 3-6 in ACT Rostrum Competition
- Interschool sporting opportunities such as AFL, cricket and touch football.
- Bilingual, Chinese/ English, private childcare facility for children from birth to 5 years of age is located within school grounds
Click Latest News Archives for detail of all News items
EnrolmentsInformation for NSW residents applying for preschool in 2018.
All applications from NSW residents for preschool in 2018, regardless of when they are submitted in 2017, will be held by the first school listed on the application and considered in 2018. If you have any queries about this process please call the ACT Education Directorate on 6205 5429.
Information for NSW residents applying for kindergarten to year 6/years in 2018.
Applications from NSW residents for kindergarten to year 6/years will be processed later in 2017. Our school receives a high number of applications from ACT residents. We will finalise processing of these applications before we consider NSW applications; this may be as late as Term 4 2017. If you have any queries about this process please call the ACT Education Directorate on 6205 5429.
Posted on 27 Apr 2017
Mawson Primary Now enrollingfor more information visit http://www.mawsonps.act.edu.au
Posted on 05 Apr 2017
Governor General in Australia day
Posted on 03 Mar 2017
Mawson Primary School won overall Most Successful Junior Exhibitor.
Read more about this here:-
At the Royal Canberra Show last year, Mawson Primary School won overall Most Successful Junior Exhibitor. They came first with cucumbers, yellow capsicums and yellow cocktail tomatoes; second for their eggs and watermelon; and third for their purple beans. The watermelon was shared with all the classes in the school, each student being offered a taste to try.
During our recent sneak peek, the vegetables were being nurtured for harvesting for this year's Show and, when the Canberra Times photographer visited last Wednesday, four types of cocktail tomatoes, corn, pumpkins, spaghetti squash and carrots were being picked and eggs collected from the chooks.The sweet corn and popping corn seeds had been planted, in blocks, once a fortnight over an extended period so the cobs did not all ripen at once. There was a lush clump of climbing spinach and rows of leeks starting to go to seed.
The Environment Centre and kitchen garden was officially opened in February 2011 and Kathryn Glanville is the Environment teacher at Mawson Primary. There are student Eco Leaders (Years 5/6) and Greenies (Kindy/Year 6) who come on a Friday afternoon to do extra gardening, animal care and special projects. The teaching is shared by Kathryn three days a week and Monica Marsham one day a week.
The vegetables are raised from seed and last spring the students grew seedlings and packaged up seeds they had collected for sale at the school fete. It was a lot of work but they raised $1,000.
Posted on 03 Mar 2017